Students at Valley Lutheran High School are encouraged to use those gifts which God has given to the best of their ability. Therefore, our academic curriculum encourages growth and mastery at levels appropriate for all students.
Valley Lutheran’s graduation requirements are consistent with the State of Michigan High School Graduation Requirements, with the addition of one Theology course for every year in attendance. Valley Lutheran High School graduation requirements include:
- 4 Credits of English
- 4 Credits of Mathematics
- 4 Credits of Theology (or one for each year in attendance)
- 3 Credits of Science
- 3 Credits of Social Studies
- 2 Credits in the Same Foreign Language
- 1 Credit Fine Arts: Includes selection from Music, Art or Drama courses
- 0.5 Credit of PE (waiver available starting with the class of 2022)
- 0.5 Credit of Health
- 0.5 Credit of Computer Fundamentals (starting with the class of 2022)
Total number of credits required is 20.5 total credits plus one religion credit for each year in attendance.
A student must attend high school for eight semesters in order to graduate from Valley Lutheran.
Under our current nine-period system, students with one academic seminar each year have the opportunity to earn 28 credits over four years of high school.
It is strongly encouraged for students to develop a four-year plan of the high school courses they are required to take and desire to take as electives. This four-year plan helps to ensure that all graduation requirements are met and that students are able to take part in those elective courses that most interest them academically. See the Guidance Office during your academic seminar or lunch period to create one with the help of the Guidance Counselor.
Valley Lutheran High School diplomas are highly respected by colleges, employers, and the community. Students who wish to challenge themselves further have the opportunity to pursue an Honors Diploma. The Honors Diploma involves 8 additional graduation requirements that promote an even higher level of preparation for college and career.
Students pursuing an Honors Diploma will be asked to:
- Earn 27 total credits
- Select courses that fall into one of 5 emphasis areas (STEM, Arts, Language, Literature, or Career Tech)
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Participate in a minimum of 8 extra-curricular activities that fall into at least 3 different categories (athletics, music, drama, student government, science, or other clubs/activities)
- Successfully complete a minimum of 3 courses that are designated as either Advanced Placement or Dual-Enrollment
- Complete two job-shadow experiences
- Complete 40 hours in an unpaid internship
- Demonstrate involvement (40+ hours) in a significant community activity
Students who wish to pursue an Honors Diploma should pick up a packet of information and required forms from the school office. The process is expected to take most of four years to complete. Interested students should work through the process with supervision by either an administrator or the guidance counselor.
Students that earn an Honors Diploma will receive an Honors sticker on their diploma, an Honors Diploma designation on their transcript along with an explanation, and will wear a special Honor stole at graduation.